Who is K.O.I.?
- Group of hobbyists who have an interest in the science-behind-the-hobby plus years of practical experience! READ MORE
- Volunteers who do this FOR FREE as our Give-Back to the hobby! READ MORE
- Have incorporated as a non-profit corporation - donations are tax deductible! READ MORE
What makes K.O.I. unique?
- No one is required to be a member of K.O.I. to take any of our courses! LEARN MORE
- No travel is required to take our LAB! LEARN MORE
- Anyone can sign up for any course! LEARN MORE
- Many courses have an 'audit' option! (if you are taking a course just for your own personal interest, you don't have to take tests unless you want to) LEARN MORE
- We GIVE-BACK to our users by offering scholarships and providing discounts to members, CKKs and some groups... LEARN MORE
- We offer various certifications! LEARN MORE
- We have a no-quibble refund policy! LEARN MORE
Navigating this Web Site
- Blue 'Tabs' Across the Top of the Front Page - most have drop down menus when you click on the tab
- Quick links in all the squares of the grid on the Home Page
- Help and Contacts on the lower left of the front Page, below the grid CLICK HERE
- Policies on the lower right of the front page, below the grid
- Contact our web site administrator for help - use the black' Contact' tab on the Front Page CLICK HERE
Memberships - What do I get, and Why should I become a member?
- Individuals (Regular-$24 or PLUS-$94) LEARN MORE
- K.O.I. Guide - WATERPROOF! PLUS members also get ALL Guide Supplements! (now nearly 200 pages!)
- Discounts on Courses - 10%
- Discounts on Ebooks - 20%
- Access to Group Buys - saving of more than 50% over other web prices on stuff useful to Koi Keepers!
- Access to Archived Articles
- Access to NEW Articles before anyone else sees them!
- Renewals only $15 - and you get the Current Supplement FOR FREE!
- RESEARCH to questions, provided by K.O.I. staff from reference library
- Clubs (Regular-$100 or PLUS-$170) LEARN MORE
- 1 PRESENTATION to your Club by a K.O.I. Director via Skype!
- Newsletter Editor receives access to over 100 Archived Articles and over 500 Blog entries to help provide good content for club newsletters
- Newsletter Editors receive a Monthly, 1-page, "K.O.I. News" for inclusion in their club newsletters
- 1 K.O.I. Guide for your Club Library!
- Group Courses at HALF PRICE for any $25 course! (minimum 6 students)
- Group LAB at $40 per student (minimum 3 students)
- Access to Group Buys at Member Prices!
- Gift Memberships CLICK HERE
- Looking for the PERFECT gift for ANY OCCASION for a Koi enthusiast?! Buy them their own K.O.I. Membership! ($24 and $94)
Learn something new!
- Rigorously checked for scientific accuracy, updated frequently - our highest standard for current, accurate and useful information
- Courses on ALL aspects of Koi and Ponds, for hobbyists at every level from beginner to advanced! CLICK HERE
- Take a course with your Club - special group discounts for clubs! CLICK HERE
- Authors include K.O.I. instructors and other experts, checked for accuracy by K.O.I. instructors
- FREE and For Sale ($1 to $5 each, or available as a set of ALL Ebooks) CLICK HERE
- By experts in the hobby, checked for accuracy by K.O.I. instructors
- Most are for Members ONLY (NEW and archives), but some are available to the public CLICK HERE
- Just for FUN! Not necessarily science, but interesting!
- 100's of FUN little facts, jokes, fish research articles, and fishy entertainment! Something for everyone! CLICK HERE
- Certifications Offered
- Groups of courses that can make anyone an expert! Discounts apply when all courses purchased at once) CLICK HERE
- Certified Koi Keeper (CKK) LEARN MORE
- Certified Show Water Quality Specialist LEARN MORE
- Pond Science Certification LEARN MORE
With appreciation for the fine KHV research previously done by others, we now believe it is time to move on to pursue immediately useful projects based on this knowledge. We would also like to sponsor other projects we believe would have significant near-term positive benefits.
Current K.O.I. Sponsored Project
Disinfection of Koi Show Equipment - currently being done from a K.O.I. grant to OSU - emphasis on KHV elimination
Potential Future Projects
An affordable and available commercial test for detection of latent KHV in white blood cells. This would be a project likely based on the previous work of Dr. Ling Jin et al, of OSU, who confirmed that KHV establishes latency in Koi lymphocytes. Such testing would provide breeders, dealers, hobbyists and veterinarians a much-improved way to screen Koi for KHV carrier status.
A veterinarian-run program to help ensure that participating Koi dealers sell only healthy fish. Since not everyone has adequate quarantine facilities and access to appropriate testing, this would undoubtedly be a very valuable and widely-useful service to our hobby.
We are now soliciting donations to help fund these projects.
- K.O.I. is a 501c3 not-for-profit organisation, and as such, all donations are tax deductible, and you will receive a letter you can you for your taxes.