K.O.I. and WWKC Scholarships for 2021 Are Now Closed!
Congratulations to the recipients!
Club Scholarships are ALWAYS OPEN!
If Your Club is a K.O.I. Member Club, ask how your club can sponsor you for a Scholarship at any time! email Bill: email@example.com
Requirements for any CKK Scholarship :
- You must Pay a $100 fee up front. The fee is fully refundable, making your certification FREE, if all courses are successfully completed within one year of registration.
- You must be a member of WWKC to apply for WWKC scholarship.
- K.O.I. Scholarships do not require any memberships.
- Club Scholarships require that the club is a K.O.I. Member Club, and you must be a paid-up member of the club. Club scholarships are offered at the descretion of the club, and must be approved by the club.
- Scholarships are awarded on a first come, first served basis, but you must agree to the program terms in an email.
- You must have the ability to Read and Edit Microsoft Word files in English.
- You must have a working email address, and have Internet access.
- Scholarships only cover course tuition. US students will be mailed a lab kit. International students will be given a supply list to procure locally.
- You must own or have access to a microscope with 200x magnification.
- You must own or have access to a gram scale: 100 gr capacity; 0.01 gr resolution.
- You must own or have access to the “Koi Diagnosis and Treatments” book by Duncan Griffiths.
- You must submit very brief monthly reports (required each month from all scholarship students who have not yet graduated).
Note: no one who has stuck with it has failed to complete the CKK curriculum. It’s not terribly difficult. It just takes time, commitment and a moderate amount of work.
Signups for 2021 opened November 1 and closed November 15.
To start, students purchase the CKK scholarship package from the K.O.I. website and send an email acknowledgement (to firstname.lastname@example.org) that they have read and understand the program requirements and cautionary notes on this page. Students may begin working once they receive conformation that they scholarship application has been accepted.
K.O.I. Member Clubs may sponsor their own CKK scholarship at any time - with no limits! Email Sue email@example.com for details.
The World Wide Koi Club (WWKC) offered 10 scholarships in 2021 which required that applicants must be current WWKC members (see Koiphen.com). You can purchase a $29 WWKC membership along with a WWKC scholarship through the K.O.I. web site.
Koi Organisation International (K.O.I.) offered 10 scholarships in 2021 for which anyone may apply. Limit 1 per club (excludes WWKC). All applications must include their club affiliation, but clubs need not be K.O.I. member clubs.
K.O.I. will track all students’ progress (Note: REAL NAMES [not screen names] will be used to disclose and track the progress of scholarship recipients on the Koiphen and K.O.I. websites).
Scholarships cover course tuition (a $205 value). All other expenses are the student's responsibility (see details below).
Payment reserves a scholarship, but MUST be accompanied by an email saying you have read and agree to the terms.
Students completing their courses on time may choose to have their scholarship fee of $100 returned to them by the hosting organization, or students may choose to donate their fee to the org. (WWKC membership fees of $29 are non-refundable).
All courses, including both parts of the Lab, must be completed within one year of registering in order to qualify for a refund of the $100 deposit.
Total permissible time (including paid extensions) to complete the program is 2 years – after that, students must start over from scratch.
Students may take the nine courses in the order that works best for them. We recommend that students begin with the three easiest courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Biosecurity), then progress to the less-easy (Nutrition, Filtration, Construction) and finish with the more difficult Water Quality, Diagnosis & Treatment, and the Lab. No matter what other order you choose to do the courses in, Diagnosis and Treatment must be 8th and the Lab must be 9th. Coursework should be started no later than 6 months following registration.
The following is a chart of the amount of time to expect each course to take.
Course Average time to finish Actual Study Time
Anatomy 1 week 4-6 hours
Physiology 1 week 4-6 hours
Biosecurity 1 week 4-6 hours
Nutrition 2 weeks 8-12 hours
Construction 3 weeks 12-16 hours
Filtration 2 weeks 8-12 hours
Water Quality 4 weeks 16-20 hours
Diag & Trtmt 5-6 weeks 50 hours
Lab 2 wks 8-12 hour
Each scholarship student must communicate monthly by email with Sue Kingston, the Student Coordinator, at this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. This communication is due the first week of each month until a student has completed all nine courses, unless otherwise arranged between the student and the Coordinator. The communication will be a brief accounting for the past month and a plan for the upcoming month using the following example form. An email will be sent monthly to each scholarship student requesting the following information:
CKK Scholarship Monthly Reporting
Last month’s goal(s):
Results (goals complete? incomplete? Please elaborate):
Corrective action required, if any:
Goals for the upcoming month:
Students set their own goals. These goals should have definitive, measurable end points and specific dates, e.g. merely attempting to do something is not considered a valid goal. These monthly communications are required to continue in the program.
Failure to submit these reports will trigger a reminder. After 2 missing reports, the student will be dropped from the program without a refund.
Exceptions for hardships will be considered and granted at the sole discretion of the scholarship grantors, i.e., the club, WWKC or KOI.
Questions and/or requests should be submitted to the Student Coordinator: email@example.com
Once having earned their certification, Certified Koi Keepers will receive:
- A Certified Koi Keeper pin sent by mail
- A Certified Koi Keeper certificate sent by mail
- A template for printable Certified Koi Keeper business cards will be available on-line
- An automatic 50% discount on K.O.I. ebooks will be applied in the K.O.I. store
- An automatic 25% discount on most additional K.O.I. courses and groups of courses will be applied in the K.O.I. store
To maintain their certification, Certified Koi Keepers must acquire 15 Continuing Education Units every 2 years. More information about Continuing Education can be found in the K.O.I. Continuing Education Policy (link at the bottom of the home page).
What to expect in order to become a CKK - a note from Spike Cover
We are pleased that you are considering applying to become a Certified Koi Keeper with K.O.I. Before you sign up, we would like to tell you a little about what you’ll need to do to be successful.
First, you'll need to put some earnest money up front. If you fulfill the requirements of the program, you may get that money back. You'll also likely need to puchase (or have the ability to borrow) a book and supplies - including a microscope, gram scale and text book by Duncan Griffiths.
You’ll need to have the time, and you’ll need to commit enough time to read the material and take the tests. While group studying is encouraged, each student must submit homework and tests entirely on their own. Some advanced hobbyists have tried to just take the tests without studying the material, and have struggled. It’s much better that you believe that you need to study to do well and that you be willing to commit the time to do that. It’s also a dumb move to study “to the test,” as you are only minimizing your own learning that way.
All this is not meant to scare you, just to warn you that good intentions alone won’t cut it in these classes. It will take commitment and effort. Historically, about half of the people who think they can and will make this commitment, don’t finish. This is not because the material was too difficult but rather because they either didn’t accurately assess the time required and then discovered they couldn’t commit that time, or they just weren’t willing to put out the required effort. Literally everyone who has committed the time has made it through.
- $100 Deposit, refundable if program is completed within 1 year of registration
- $85 Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis and Treatment by Duncan Griffiths (this is the text for #207 Diagnosis and Treatment, available at K.O.I. website store)
- $50 to $150 Microscope, slides, cover slips
- $35 to $50 Digital gram scale, accurate to .01g
- $25 to $35 API test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH
- $50 to $500 Large koi net
- $50 to $150 Koi sock net – optional but nice to have
- $15 to $100 Tub(s) large enough to hold a koi for anesthesia (can be a blue koi tub, or a Rubbermaid tub – a second container for anesthesia recovery is optional but nice to have)
So that’s $410 on up assuming the student has none of the above. It could be as little as $100 (refundable) if the student already has all of the necessary equipment and supplies. Certainly you may borrow supplies from other Koi keepers, but at somet point, you will probably want and need all of those items for your own pond.
Please note that we ask K.O.I. scholarship students who wish a refund to request it within 3 months of graduation. We hope that you may be able to donate the refund to help finance future scholarship students.
- Internet access
- An email account
- The ability to access and modify (edit) MS Word documents and attach them to emails
- The ability to access and view PDF files
- Some means of playing a DVD, either on computer or TV
Again, we want to emphasize that succeeding in the CKK program will require not only your good intentions, but your commitment and work.
Please email our student coordinator - Sue Kingston (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further explanation and more info!
If you wish to purchase a club scholarship, please contact Sue Kingston (email@example.com)
CLICK HERE to Purchase a K.O.I. Scholarship - $100
CLICK HERE to Purchase a WWKC Scholarship (Must be a WWKC Member) - $100.
CLICK HERE to Purchase a WWKC Scholarship AND WWKC Membership - $129.